Church Review Notes January 2014

Saint Catherine & Saint James with Saint Audoen
Canon Mark Gardner (Editor) Tel: 01 454 2274 Mobile 087 266 0228
The Revd Martha Waller (Curate-Assistant) Tel: 01 868 1655
Email: markgardner@eircom.net
Bernard Woods (Diocesan Lay Reader) Tel: 01 808 5304
Review Distribution: Doris Brooks Tel: 01 453 0887
Website: cja.dublin.anglican.org

Service times every Sunday
10.00 Eucharist, St Audoen, Cornmarket (without variation).
(Parking in Francis Street is free on Sundays).

11.30 Eucharist (and Sunday School), St Catherine & St James, Donore Avenue.
(Service of the Word, Second and Fourth Sundays. Family Service, from time to time).

St Audoen’s Cornmarket Diary Dates
Sunday 5 January ‘Twelfth Night’
17.00 Epiphany Eve Carols with ‘Pals Singers’ and the Conservative Club Choir.

St Catherine & St James Donore Avenue Diary Dates
Monday 6 January Epiphany of the Lord 11.00 School Service,
addressed by Andrew Forrest, Principal of the High School Dublin.

Advent and Christmas
Advent was celebrated in a traditional manner at St Audoen’s, right up to the Fourth Sunday, and we look forward to marking the Epiphany with a Carol Service on ‘Twelfth Night’. Nowadays Christmas stretches further and further forward, for most people, and so the Carol Service at St Catherine & St James Donore Avenue was brought forward to Sunday 15 December. The Parish is most grateful to the volunteers who decorated the Church beforehand, and who provided coffee and mince pies afterwards. It is a delight to have the children in Church, although some people are very sensitive to the noise made by the children. May I ask those who are bothered by the noise, to come and sit at the front? From where I stand, the sounds the children make seem fairly far away.

Violet Quill
After some time in hospital, Violet Quill has moved into St Gladys’ nursing home, Lower Kimmage Road. It was a private house which has been greatly extended, bordering on the grounds of Mount Argus. Few would suspect that the River Poddle flows through a culvert between the road and the house! The staff tell me a number of Church of Ireland people are there, some of them staff members, some people in care like Violet. She seems settled and comfortable, for which we are glad, but we miss her very much from her place in Church.

Barbara Jackson
We are planning to erect a memorial brass to the late Barbara Jackson, above the seat where she sat Sunday by Sunday all her life. With no close relatives surviving, we are rather at a loss to know what to say about her, in the event of a service of dedication of this memorial. Some of her friends have been consulted. Any Review readers who could share memories of her with us are invited to get in touch.

The International Community
The Parish supports the Estonian Lutheran Church, the Church of South India and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The Revd Kalmer Keskula from Estonia and Fr Antoneh Getu Awoke from Ethiopia are living in the Rectory, having had great difficulty finding affordable accommodation. Dr Mesfin Desta, a lecturer at Trinity College Dublin, is still looking for a church the Orthodox could call their own.

St James’ Church James St
The Irish Times, Saturday 7 December 2013. John Wilson writes: Jack Teeling, son of John, set about forming his own bespoke whiskey company … in 2013… At the same time, John bought the Great Northern Brewery in Dundalk. Jack Teeling intends moving to the Liberties, where he will join the Dublin Whiskey Company, which is in the process of building a distillery and visitor centre in an old mill, and Alltech intends moving to a former Anglican Church on St James’s Street in Dublin.

Parish Silver
Much of the silver is either in the National Museum, on loan, or stored in the RCB (The Representative Church Body, the Church of Ireland’s own civil service, based in Church House, Rathmines). The silver from St Kevin’s South Circular Road is in use in St Catherine & St James Donore Avenue. A very old chalice and paten (1677) from St Audoen’s is in use there, while the chalice and paten from St Peter’s is being restored by Alwright & Marshall Ltd, Silversmiths & Goldsmiths & Electroplating, 14 Fade Street. To climb the stairs to the office is to step back in time to the days of Dickens! Much of our silver is much older, and some interesting inscriptions are recorded. Here are some from St Catherine’s Thomas St.

‘This Paten belongeth to the Altar of the Parish Church of St. Catherines Dublin. The Revd. Henry Echlin Vicar Mr. William Wight and Mr Owen Siveny Churchwardens Anno Domini 1720’.
‘This Flagon was bought for ye use of ye Altar of St. Katherines Parish Dublin 1715. Ye Honble & Revd Doctr John Moore Vicar Edwd Butler Wm Walker Church Wardens’. Date: 1714.
‘This Flagon was bought for ye use of ye altar of St. Katherine’s Parish Dublin 1716/17. The Rev Mr Henry Echlin Vicar. Fran Onge, Math Brown Churchwardens’ Date: 1715
Mark Gardner

Culture at St Catherine & St James
A recent jazz concert formed an event for introducing Estonian culture to the people of Ireland. The Estonian Community and the Estonian Embassy were most grateful to the Parish for the use of the Church and to Des Cox for providing the sound equipment. is provided by and we will hire some extra equipment for the guitar players. The singer Liisi Koikson is well known in Estonia and performs in both languages. Her music was most suitable for the venue. Guitar players were Christian Harryson from Sweden and Marek Talts from Estonia. The Estonian Embassy invited a number of diplomats from Dublin embassies and the Ambassador Mait Martinson made a speech of welcome. The concert was followed by a short reception provided by the Embassy. Hard working volunteers then cleaned up to make sure everything was in perfect order for next day’s Christmas service of The Church of South India.
AJ Ragastik

This entry was posted in Review Notes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply